Wednesday 18 December 2013

Campaign basics

A campaign is important to me to give context to my gaming.  The campaign gives a background for why the game is occurring, the objectives for the battle itself, and a consequence arising from the result.  As the campaign develops, the narrative begins to form a story of its own, a new saga that can be told or read about that will give me pleasure for yours to come.

I have always thought of gaming, and miniatures gaming in particular, as a form of cooperative storytelling.  The players together creating a dynamic narrative for a particular battle.  With a campaign, I can take the narrative to the next level, giving each battle it's own part in the unfolding drama.  Each battle then takes on its own importance and becomes part of the new history of my Middle Earth.

I also find that a campaign gives me a focus for my gaming, giving an energy and impetuous to getting the toys out and having some fun.  I always seem so time poor nowadays, and there are many demands on my time.  Whenever I do get a moment to myself, I tend to fall into the trap of computer gaming, which is like a cheap take away meal.  It is convenient, fast and fills a need, but is rarely satisfying or memorable.  Just thinking about this campaign has given me a lot of enjoyment, and I haven't even begun yet.

So how will this campaign work?  I'm glad you asked.

First, I need to set the background and the initial dispositions of the factions that will occupy my version of Middle Earth.  Each faction needs a ruling class of some sort, politicians, generals warlords and so on, depending upon the way in which the faction is structured.  Some thought needs to be given to personality and abilities. Perhaps Crusader Kings II (my favouritest computer game of all time)may provide some inspiration.  Each faction also needs an overarching goal or goals that they will wish to realise over the course of the campaign.  Some basic understanding of the population centres, resources, economy, military forces, fortifications and so on, follows, with a view to building on that knowledge as time goes by in the campaign.  My first task is to develop a template, and start populating the information required.

Second, I will use the old SPI 'War of the Ring' as my map and method of tracking key events in the campaign.  I may have to get the map laminated and mounted on cork board or similar so that I can write on it, put pins and markers on it and move the counters around.  I may wall mount it so that I can leave it up for as long as I want, which could be a very long time indeed.  The map and rules also provide a basis for movement, stacking and so on, so I do not have to re invent that wheel.  The rules
may require modification, but I will just see how that goes.

Third, the campaign will be solo to begin with as I build the background, consider how it is all going to work and develop the mechanisms for play.  Then I will involve other players from time to time, perhaps with some long term players getting involved, so as to give dynamism to the game.  I want it to develop a life of its own after a while.

I will be looking strongly to the Tony Bath model of campaign management, where I fill the role of 'world manager' and 'umpire' rather than a player, and I will have to be careful not to allow my prejudices get in the way (I always loved the Rohirrim best).

So my planning for my next post is to develop a template and to start describing the factions, perhaps starting with Rohan because I like them best...


No comments:

Post a Comment